> When someone signs-up for the project (or maybe when they make their first
> edit) they could be given a list of available mentors preferably in their
> local area but failing that you

Cool, perhaps there could be a way that on the list of the 10 local mappers
in the area, to sort those who have made alot of edits, or declare
themselves as the 'area's main mapper', and post that on the wiki page,
could be made more clear on sign-up?

Similar to on the wiki there is the {{welcome}} notice, perhaps there could
be a way for users to receive notice via. automagical message, that new
mappers are in the area?  So then there is a chance for the local area
mappers to welcome the newbie. (expanding on the 'add as friend' which IMO
hasn't been expanded much.  Even incorporating facebook/OpenID, having a
spot to fill that in.  I know the wiki lets users put what they want,
however, its a way for those users who dont plan on editing the wiki, but
are building the map.  Why would they have to create a new user just for it?

Meet-up.com uses a similar approach where only those people in the area and
with the same common interests are filtered down to just a few.  Perhaps a
set of interests can be checked of, as to the newbies level of interest,
programming / rendering / mapping / casual mapping / promotion etc. (so you
can contact those who have the specific expertise your looking for).

> only really need to speak the same language.  The mentor could then
> informally review their first few edits, answer questions, give them tips
> and point them in the direction of useful resources, mailing lists, etc...

When i discover new mappers in an area, im contacting them asking them to
post on the wiki that they are working on the page, and to see what there
level of interest is. As well as find out if there is a chance to meet in
person sometime soon.

But some of the above can also be provided in the initial sign-up
confirmation welcome message.
And perhaps it can be further listed on the page when the user is editing
their profile. and maybe a link to the talk-* list could be made available
just after the list of the 10 local area mappers.  As a question "Have more
questions? Why not join the (region) list to keep informed of mapping
parties & region specific discussions?"

> Might be something useful for people to do who have completed mapping their
> own areas.
>
> Kevin

Cheers,
Brainstorming ideas,