On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM, John Smith<delta_foxt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 28/7/09, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * The data is versioned, and anyone can edit it
>
>> I have a lot of GPX tracks that could be improved, e.g. by
>> deleting
>
> I'd say deleting sections, but not editing... Only very erroneous information
> should be "touched up" by deleting information.

Waypoint names & descriptions for one are something that makes sense
to edit. When I'm out surveying I use cryptic abbreviations like
"ohtup" for "on highway=track unpaved". I'd like to mass-edit my
tracks to expand such abbreviations later through an API.

But in any case the API supporting editing of an object doesn't mean
that it /should/ be edited. With full editing allowed we'd still have
version history and could simply revert edits that were inappropriate,
just like with the rest of the data.

>> point clouds. I'd like to edit them using normal OSM tools,
>> have those
>> edits versioned (so they can be rolled back), and have
>> other users do
>> those fixes for me. Just like with the OSM data I upload.
>
> Who can roll back changes, this is ongoing with the OSM data itself, at least
> in this case it won't effect changes with anything else.

Anyone. Why not?