2009/7/28 John Smith <delta_foxt...@yahoo.com>:
> Perhaps the more appropriate question would be what are appropriate tag keys
> that could be used in combination with the tag place=*?
>
> So far all I can come up with is name and possibly source. I'm primarily only
> looking at aussie data so I may have over looked things.

A lot of places have population=, ele=, is_in=, is_in:*=, name:*=,
official_name:*=, *_name=, wikipedia=, capital=, various types of
locations codes (off the top of my head) and most of these seem
appropriate.

> is_in seems to have already moved to boundary information, as well as post
> codes, population information and so forth should be shifted to the admin
> boundaries as well if they haven't already.

What if boundary is not defined but the hierarchy is defined, such as
with post codes?  Should people invent boundary polygons based on just
what nodes/ways belong to the area?  I hope not.

This is the case with administrative hierarchy of
regions/counties/municipalities in a lot of countries, in other
countries there is no and possibly will never be any way to obtain the
official boundary polygon information.

Cheers