--- On Tue, 28/7/09, David Earl <da...@frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> But until we do, the existing mechanism does no harm, and

Apart from massively bloating the database due to massive amounts of redundant
and/or useless information that doesn't gain us anything.

> as I said, you don't always know the boundary while you do
> know where the place is.

That's part of the point of my questions, add the information to boundaries if
it exists elsewhere and other general house cleaning, and if it doesn't exist
on place tags already it may exist on boundaries so I still think your point
isn't valid.

> Determining the inclusion of every place in the database,
> even if we had complete information, is massively more
> complex than simply being told the information. If you have
> it, why not give it.

At this point in time a lot of nodes tagged place=* tags in Australia don't
have additional information, those that do seem very inconsistent and would be
absolutely useless for any kind of routing engine. I can't speak for anywhere
else as I haven't checked node information for anywhere else.

What I'm suggesting is a clean up, if that means adding a bunch of tags to
nodes so be it, but I doubt that is the best way to go to achieve consistency
to be honest.