2009/8/10 John Smith <delta_foxt...@yahoo.com>:

> --- On Mon, 10/8/09, Paul Houle <p...@ontology2.com> wrote:
>>      The nuke industry isn't perfect
>> either.  The operation of "once
>
> No but they've had a lot more practice in the mean time of what not to do :)
>
> I really love how everyone is so hell bent on making everyone so poor they
> can't afford to heat their homes, but they won't touch nuclear, and there is
> only 2 types of power plants that can produce base loads, especially in
> Australia where water isn't as abundant to do hydro on a big enough scale.

what about wind and solar energy? With a large-scale (DC-)grid you can
also achieve the coverage of base loads with wind-energy, as there is
always some wind somewhere. What about reducing useless energy
consumption and augmenting efficiency (also in the transportation of
it)? Sorry for this offtopic, but there IS solutions beyond nuclear
power stations. Don't know Australia well, but worldwide there could
be a huge reduction in consumption by better housing insulation.
Architecture is one of the key fields where consumption could be
reduced by intelligent design, though it is generally not considered a
main target by investors because energy is so cheap.

cheers,
Martin