On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:31:38AM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > ... and it is NOT assumed surface=paved. .. we don't ASSUME :)  .. instead
> > we have "If no other values of surface is listed, the default value is
> > "surface=paved" ... but actually, it should be "surface=undefined", as the
> > default value if none are listed.
>
> no, I think for roads we always had the default: "paved" and I would
> stick to this and tag the exceptions.

We should have sensible default for most of the tags on highway
type of ways - I see a lot of bloat coming when people start tagging

        access = yes
        bicycle = yes
        foot = yes
        layer = 0
        maxspeed = 30
        motorcar = yes
        motorcycle = yes
        surface = paved
        lit = no

And yes - this happends and it happens more and more ... These should
more or less all be default and a validator should.

I see the problem that there are other regions of the world where
a paved road is an exception e.g. Madagaskar (CIA Factbook):

        total: 65,663 km
        paved: 7,617 km
        unpaved: 58,046 km (2003)

But than make the most common usage the default - this will save gigabytes
of storage once we have the World Domination ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                         f...@rfc822.org
"Es ist ein grobes Missverständnis und eine Fehlwahrnehmung, dem Staat