>I would prefer that "designated" does not infer "exclusively
>designated", so that it's possible to have bicycle=designated as well
>as foot=designated on a shared pathway (signed with a picture of a
>person and a picture of a bicycle).

Agree here. UK bridleways for instance should have foot=designated;
horse=designated; bicycle=designated as all three have equal right. It
would be a mistake to assume the horse rights are greater than
foot/bicycle; they are not.

I would similarly guess the shared foot/cycleways in Germany would be
similar, i.e. foot=designated; bicycle=designated.

Nick