I imagined a system whereby the default rendered map page looked much
the same as the current Mapnik example, the only difference being the
addition of a second slide-bar that changed the temporal view. By
default you'd look at the map of the present day, but by pulling the
slide down (or across...) you'd go back in time and features would
disappear / appear accordingly.

The Burning Man example would show the current state of things as they
exist on the ground today, pull the slider back and you'll change to
last years... Likewise for any country / area you'll be able to do the
same.

The technicalities of adding this data to the database could be tricky
- perhaps a similar slider should be added to whatever interfaces
people use (would be an issue for features that no longer exist
cluttering the view), but or stuff that is on the ground today, it
should be possible to just add a start_date tag.

As for old versions of the OSM database, these would be very
interesting for charting the growth of the map and for adding a
historical dimension to a study of OSM, but the historical data should
all be stored in the current database. We should look into adding
chronological data to the data we already have. Adding this to the
database shouldn't be too hard, I can find out when the office
building I'm sat in at the moment was built, for example, but
rendering the temporal element could cause headaches...

More than willing to work on such an endeavour, however...

Cheers, Joseph