On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM, John Smith<delta_foxt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 19/8/09, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This would lead to massive amounts of historic information
>> into the
>> future - i.e. nothing that has been correctly mapped need
>> ever be
>> deleted.
>
> Even so, this would be a minority of data, the majority of roads rarely if
> ever change. New roads get added, major highways get upgraded or moved, but
> residential streets stay put, railways usually stay put, rivers don't move
> very fast, coastlines don't move very fast.

Think POI's, names, landuse, boundaries, development (from natural to
farmland to houses to commercial development).

And think long-term. *Eventually*, by definition, historical data will
indeed be the majority of data - time is infinite, Earth is finite.

But anyway, can we move on? I'm simply saying we should look at this
as what it really is - extending OSM to the time dimension.

If you don't think the API will need to be extended, fine. I think it
would be nice :)