Hi!

Congracts everyone with amount of input OSM recieves this year.
Volunteers join us every day and changesets grow in detaility and
quality. However, there is one set back and those are two things -
mapnik render and NameFinder. While mapnik slowly gains additional
renders for POIs and stuff, people can't find anything newer than
January in NameFinder. I also think it is time to redesign it and make
default version more good looking. Yes, I know, commercial vendors are
here for selling services, but stil, as a geek, I contribute to OSM
and want to use OSM slippy map.

Anyway, so far I have heard about two efforts of getting NameFinder
running again. First one is just performance improvement for old one
(done by David Earl) and second one is completely new effort (by
Twain).

How far both projects are? Is there anything someone with moderate
Linux/sysadmining/Python/Postgresql/whatever knowledge can help?

Cheers,
Peter.