On 27/08/09 14:26, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM, David Earl<da...@frankieandshadow.com>
> wrote:
>> Beyond getting the index updated using the existing technology, my next
>> step is to try using postgres instead of mysql to (hopefully) increase
>> the search speed (I use self-joins a lot and these should be faster in
>> postgres; there may also be scope beyond that for replacing my low level
>> word search algorithm with postgres' flexible free text searching but
>> still retaining the multiple variations the system copes with at present).
>
> This might be a silly question but has someone looked into using
> dedicated search engines like lucene for OSM data?

Brian's stuff is using the full text search support in postgres which is
effectively a dedicated full test search engine. The advantage of using
that over something like lucene is that you combine geographic
restrictions (using postgis) with text searches in the same query.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/