On 27/08/09 12:13, Jack Stringer wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dlock_gate
> Shows to tag both ends of the lock. If there is a name just to use name.

This was the original tag. However, it has various problems - for
example, it makes it hard to render a lock as a single icon if there are
two tags (one for each end) and in a staircase lock, things get even
more confusing.

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lock
> Says to tag either both ends or just use a single node.

This was created to deal with the above problem. For high-resolution
mapping, use it to tag the water way between the gates as "lock=yes".
For low-resolution mapping, just add a node to the canal and tag it.

> lock=yes
> lock_name=Withrington Bottom Lock

When you are tagging a way, you can't use name= because that will
already contain the name of the canal. Hence lock_name=.

> I have then seen people use name_1=5 to tell you the lock number.

Ick. Please use "ref" for this.

If you are mapping carefully, I'd suggest the tags you want are lock=yes
on the waterway section, lock_name for the name, and ref for the number
if present. If you want to add waterway=lock_gate to the two ends as
well, knock yourself out.

Gerv