>Why JavaME exactly?

>It's kind of getting long in the tooth compared to JVMs running on
>modern smart phones....

>Not to mention smart phones usually have a soft or hard keyboard,
>rather than twiddling about with 12 keys to type things out....

To try and support as many as possible - Qt is another option when the
Symbian version becomes available, Android is interesting but maybe not
widespread enough yet, iPhone is platform specific (and has to be approved
by Apple which is a big problem), .NET again is platform specific.

I'm not sure that many modern phones support full Java do they? For
instance the Nokia N-series (which are usually considered smartphones) use
Java ME, not full Java.

Nick