>  If you don't want to do micro mapping the best approach is to create a
>  multipolygon relations for the farm and one for the golf course. use
>  the portion of the highway in the polygon as outer way and delete the
>  duplicate ways.

While this may look reasonable, this is IMHO a bad idea.

I've seen once an area where someone made this by sharing parts of
landuse=residential (the area) with many roads and forests touching
it. I tried to fix it in JOSM (the lines were very rough and there was
usable aerial imagery for that area to draw more precise boundary),
but the mess was too great and I ultimately gave up (tried to move
stuff from relations to create separate polygon but it just ended up
as a big mess).

Unless current tools improve a lot their multipolygon handling, I
think this way sharing in multiple multipolygons should be rather
avoided.

Martin