On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com> wrote:
>> Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>> If you just add a disused=yes, pretty much nothing that works with the
>>> OSM data will recognise that it is no longer a cafe.
>> Don't map for the renderer, router etc. etc.
>>
>> You should be writing a post asking why they don't recognise such a
>> widely used tag.
>
> What does shop=cafe, disused=yes mean?  When a cafe is abandoned, it's
> no longer a cafe, it's now an abandoned building.
>
> I think the renderer is right in this example, and the tagger is, most
> likely, wrong (maybe there is an example of a cafe which is still a
> cafe, it's just a "disused" cafe, but this seems rare, and not
> something that should be "widely used").

Disused canal, fine.  Disused railway, sure.  Disused building, no
problem.  Disused quarry, yes.

But disused cafe?  A cafe is a building, or part of a building, which
is *used* as a cafe.  The use is part of the definition.

"a generally informal place with sit-down facilities selling beverages
and light meals and/or snacks".  By that definition, if they aren't
selling anything, they're not a cafe.  So what is a disused cafe?
When they're selling but no one is buying?