On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>wrote:

I would have a bit more sympathy had I not, once again, spent a good
while last night clearing up some ways, badly traced in JOSM with
45-degree angles all over the place. Had the mapper used a good
"GPX->simplified way" function, he would have created a road which was
much closer to reality yet nonetheless took him much less effort.

Thanks for this one Richard, a point I completely missed while raising this
issue with JOSM. I have been mapping mountain roads for the last 3 months
now. While I dont draw 45 degree angles, I dont think that with the
'creating nodes' option, I do a great job. The road ofcourse looks slightly
angular. I am actually talking about roads which take a U-curve every 50
metres or so in the Himalayas. The GPS trail is a perfect U but I cant say
the same of all the curves I end up drawing. Anyway, to get them even
slightly accurate, I end up drawing at very high resolution, which means
spending hours just drawing the track already drawn by the GPS.

Regards,
Shalabh