Which somehow reminds of the AND data imported to OSM. I am not sure whether
AND and TIGER had anything to do with each other but most of the highways
from the AND data in India are straight lines, often a couple of hundred
metres off the actual road. I have been deleting old tracks and adding new
tracks. Just to give you an example, refer the below frame.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=32.1488&lon=76.4172&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF

This road, a curvy mountain road was a straight line even at the highest
zoom level with no waypoints whatsoever till 2-3 days ago. I have deleted 3
such roads in the last week and replaced with the new ones. And I know there
are thousands more to go. I doubt if roads like these actually add any
value, either from a mapping or routing point of view to OSM.

Regards,
Shalabh