2009/12/4 Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>:
> Nick,
> I assume that the POI collector not only lets you collect new POIs but
> also modify existing ones. For this, the existing ones must be shown as
> active elements on the map that the device displays. Given that the OSM
> server proper is too slow to answer real-time "give me POIs in my
> vicinity" queries, and given that XAPI is not generally reliable for
> anything commercial grade, I assume that you are using your own
> XAPI-like POI database which tracks changes from the main OSM server and
> feeds them to the iPhone users, is that correct?

quick reply... it is late.

Mapzen POI is using the map live OSM API. (from what I can see)
A single changeset is opened at the beginning of an active edit
session. Standard API PUT node/create create is used to add POIs.
Multiple POIs can be added in a single changeset session.

Example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/3278944
Example map query:
/api/0.6/map?bbox=8.202985,49.656840,8.206418,49.660035 (lang: de-de)

/ Grant