On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:42 PM, SteveC <st...@asklater.com> wrote:

> Of course they said that, they only support PD-like licenses *as a policy*.

PD-like licenses?  You mean for databases of facts?  Or am I misinterpreting
"PD-like"?

It's pretty stupid but that's their policy.

Well, you may think Creative Commons is "stupid", but I hope others will
give them a chance and listen to what they have to say.  I think they will,
considering that Creative Commons is well known and respected, compared to
Open Data Commons, who doesn't even seem to have an article on Wikipedia.

I don't know, I find it somewhat mind-boggling that a site like OSM would
even consider resorting to "browse-through license agreements" in order to
impose terms which go beyond that of copyright.  It's the exact oppose of
what I'd expect from a site which calls itself "open" and "free".