On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/12/15 Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> >> In a park is a ditch.  There is a very small bridge going over the
> ditch.
> >> I've tagged the ditch with barrier=ditch.  Should the ditch be layer=-1?
> >> Even though the park is layer=0?
> >
> > Layers are only there to explain the relative heights of things when
> > they meet. No harm will result from marking the ditch as layer -1.
> > Whether or not it needs to be a lower number than that of the bridge
> > is an unresolved question.
>
> I tend to mark bridges as layer=1 and anything at ground level I don't
> set a layer tag, which seems the most logical to me since ditches
> aren't under the ground etc.

I tend to agree with you, but:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:IMG_6783.JPG

Are both of those bridges layer=1?  At least the road one, and arguably
both, are effectively at "ground level".

Right now I have the ditch with no layer tag (this way it acts as a barrier
to travel through the park at layer=0).  But it doesn't feel right putting
the bridges at layer=1.  So I've used barrier=entrance for the node where
the way and the ditch cross.  For the part going under the road, I have
barrier=ditch, tunnel=yes.  Which, I don't know, is the part I like the
least.  But the ditch isn't really a ditch at the time it goes under the
road.  It's more of a drain pipe.  Is there a tag for drain pipe?  (I'll
check the wiki right after I hit send).