Mike Harris

See my separate reply - I disagree - what happens when the "level=-1" ditch
runs downstream into a "level=0" stream / river - without a waterfall?

> Whether or not it needs to be a lower number than that of the
> bridge is an unresolved question.

I disagree - surely the bridge is above the water in the ditch and so - by
your own defintion ('relative heights') it must have a higher level value?

> > Should I use barrier=entrance on the node where the ways overlap,
> > bridge=yes on the bridge (which means splitting the way for a very
> > short bridge), both, something else?
>
> There shouldn't be a junction between the bridge and the
> ditch, so no need to mark anything barrier=entrance. Just
> mark the whole bridge bridge=yes.

Agree - but the way has to be split for the bridge=yes section.

> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:IMG_6784.JPG
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:IMG_6783.JPG
>
> The path:
> highway=footway
> (possibly bicycle=yes)
>
> It then meets a bridge:
> highway=footway
> bridge=yes
> layer=1
>
> Then another path:
> highway=footway
>
> Meanwhile, unconnected, but crossing the bridge:
> waterway=drain
>
> Not sure I'd even mark it "barrier=ditch" after all that. I'd
> also only specify a layer for the bridge, not the ditch/drain.

Agree - enough to mark it as a stream or, if that is felt to be too 'big'
then waterway=ditch.

Also agree that the bridge, rather than the ditch, should carry the layer
tag (see my comment above). Doesn't this rather imply that the ditch has the
same layer value as the level=0 surroundings (as I suggest) rather than
level=-1 (as per your 'no harm' suggestion) - and that the bridge has a
layer value higher than 0, so presumably level=1 (as I suggest)?