2010/1/19 SteveC <st...@asklater.com>:
> You're being very logical and geeky, but ignoring the social element here.
> Ignoring CC and just pulling the data in might satisfy you but would then
> annoy a far greater set of people who we should at least honor the ideals
> with which they signed up and contributed data, even if the letter of the law
> we can't enforce.

You're singing to the choir here, I support the ideals of ODBL in
principal, however I'm also practical and see supporting people to
have PD data means we don't need to worry about importing it or
scrubbing duplicates.

> I'm personally thinking at this stage that a better solution would be for the
> license move to ODbL to include a fork as part of the agreement, so everyone
> contributes their data as both ODbL and/or PD, not just move to ODbL. We
> could host a

My suggestion was in a vein hope to appease those wanting this, so
they keep contributing to OSM's DB so OSM keeps benefiting. I think
there is only a small minority that cares strongly about ODBL or PD,
the majority just want get on with it so they can use better map
tiles.

>data and will always be the better map. Would that make the PD crowd happy?
>Personally I don't see it as much different to just working for Google and
>TomTom for free.

Again, singing to the choir, I don't want to work for google or any
other mapping company for free unless they wish to give back to the
community, not just hover up all the data and only they benefit from
it.