Hi,

SteveC wrote:
> http://opengeodata.org/new-design-concept-for-openstreetmaporg

Whatever merits the (external, commercial) uservoice.com service might
have, I am extremely sceptical about using it for openstreetmap.org.
"Join companies & organisations of all sizes that already depend on
UserVoice for feedback (Sun, Nokia, Random House, Sony BMG,
Myspace.com)". I don't envisage OSM being like these in any way.

Our problem is not that granny doesn't find the feedback button; if we
have a problem then it is that we do not have the time and patience to
deal with her suggestions.

What this external service (where people can write up ideas and others
can vote them up or down) would do is create another league of "Wiki
fiddlers", only with less understanding of OSM. It would give a nice
outward impression, but it wouldn't change the amount of resources we
have available to deal with suggestions from outsiders. In the end, it
would only frustrate people when they see that their suggestions don't
get implemented.

We do not suffer from a lack of ideas regarding cool things that could
be improved about OSM. If we suffer from a lack of ideas at all then it
might be ideas on how to implement something without breaking things or
overloading servers, i.e. well-founded technical ideas that require
intricate knowledge of how OSM works. uservoice.com will not help there.

Bye
Frederik