One idea is to leverage IRC power, by having an international channel,
where any language is permitted.
And people can respond & live translate, and people can get their answer.

Having this IRC weblink directly on the feedback box will help a great deal.

Many have abandoned this talk@ list because IRC is more efficient.
(kind of like twitter, but the useful version)
and it could be better with more languages permitted.

Imo,
Sam

On 2/20/10, SteveC <st...@asklater.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> SteveC wrote:
>>> Wrong. Map bugs. Did you read my post Fred ? :-)
>>
>> So you meant to integrate uservoice.com instead of integrating
>> openstreetbugs? But can their system tie notes to map locations?
>
> Well I'll go further.
>
> openstreetbugs is basically there but has a crappy UI. It needs to be
>
> 1) click 'feedback' or 'problem'
> 2) enter problem
> 3) click ok
>
> the extra step of clicking where the problem is should not happen, we should
> get that from the bbox or center point plus zoom. So with some changes I
> think we can integrate OSB and expose it front and center to help fix up the
> bugs.
>
> I think in an environment where every other map on the planet is trying to
> hide their bugs, we should expose ours and fix them quickly while showing
> everyone what they got wrong.
>
> As for your comments about people entering bugs and feature requests we
> can't handle... look. I understand it's a case of matching requests to
> people who can be bothered to do them. And I understand that people here
> today can't be bothered to fix most of the things that are wrong in OSM
> because we're all happy to work around them... but it's bonkers to be
> dismissive about 'granny' because it's all those grannies out there who are
> going to help us fix this map.
>
> If I think about all the people who can help today in OSM, I immediately
> think of my brothers and sister, my parents and so on... and the only way is
> if we go through a big complicated loop with walking papers. A bug system
> like the above should be where we're headed. It will make so many more
> people help us, and we will be able to fix so many more things.
>
> So as for features and software bugs... I think we should turn up the volume
> of the people who want things changed. One, we might learn something about
> what the users actually want (because trac is a poor, poor reflection) and
> two... look we should be the first people to welcome input on what people
> think we should do. We can't all hide in our basement and hack on Java any
> more. We have to help these people who are crying out for it.
>
> I'll add two more things
>
> 1) Using "google insight" (bing for it) and many other tools it's very very
> clear that the german community is by far and away huge. That's wonderful,
> but we don't have Germans all over Europe and the US - we need these tools
> out here Frederik to help us fix the map.
>
> 2) We have to be very clear that the openstreetmap.org website is _awful_.
> Horrendous. A total PITA. We're all here because we're persistent with it.
> But the wonderful thing is - we don't have to make the tools and site easy
> to use if we can expose a simple bug system. It's very clear that nobody can
> convince Richard to actually write something any muggle would really want to
> [...]

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog:  http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
OpenStreetMap IRC: http://irc.openstreetmap.org