On 23 Feb 2010, at 13:00 , Graham Jones wrote:

> I have just got an Android phone too and was thinking of doing some work on
> simplifying the Vespucci user interface (I'm just learning how the UI system
> works on Android first....still can't get the camera to work properly...).  I
> see the main improvements that would be useful are:
>       • A 'one click' (probably one long click) 'add a node' option that
> takes you straight to the tag editor, so that you can add POIs easily.
>       • A more general simplification of the UI (haven't thought of the
> details yet).

I am still new to Android, seems a lot applications lack the simple one click
or one long click -> do something feature

>       • (less important) improvements to the map rendering, or possibly using
> a pre-rendered base image.

I think better is a potlatch/josm/google maps like feature to use different
layers for background. maybe some code can be reused from some  other
applications

> Generally I think that vespucci is about there as a simple editor, it just
> needs some UI development.
> This might be a nice student project for Google Summer of Code?
>
> The other Android (or J2ME too) application that I think would be useful
> would be a 'mapping tool' application - something very simple to record GPS
> traces and let you take geotagged photos and audio clips with just a single
> key press - again there are applications that let you do this, but I have not
> seen any that are very simple to use, and I like very simple!

OSMtracker on WM is a good example.
On Android My Tracks, Camera can be used but task switching too complicated.
All in one app is a good idea. Havn't found any app yet which records HDOP
values in the gpx track. My Tracks shows it on screen but doesn't record.