Hi!

> But if I use their stylesheets and their site to generate maps, they can
> restrict what I can do with the resulting renderings, right?

No. Its a derived work from OSM and as such falls under the CC-BY-SA and
only the CC-BY-SA.

They can restrict the use of their site, but not of the map. So they can say:
"Only Person X can download a map from our site". Thats ok. But once the map is
downloaded they can't restrict what Person X is doing with the map. Its the
whole point of the CC-BY-SA that it grants you those freedoms and they can
never get taken away.

Note that with the new license (ODbL) this would be ok. Maybe the lawayers
writing this thought it would come sooner. :-)

> http://cloudmade.com/terms_conditions :
>
> "CloudMade grants you permission to use the CloudMade Site as set forth
> in these Terms, provided that and for so long as (i) you use the
> CloudMade Site solely for your personal use; (ii) except as expressly
> permitted or indicated in these Terms, you do not download, reproduce,
> redistribute, retransmit, publish, resell, distribute, publicly display
> or otherwise exploit any portion of the CloudMade Site in any medium
> without CloudMade's prior written authorization;..."

Thats the "site" not the "maps", as I see it. So thats ok.

> "(b) Any use by you of any of the CloudMade Materials and CloudMade Site
> other than for your personal use is strictly prohibited. You agree not
> to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, resell, distribute, or
> exploit any portion of the CloudMade Site, use of the CloudMade Site,
> access to the CloudMade Site, or Non-CloudMade Content obtained through
> the CloudMade Site, for any purpose other than for your personal use."

Everything in there is ok, because they can have any restrictions they
like on their own content, but "Non-CloudMade Content obtained through
the CloudMade Site" is not ok. Because that would include OSM stuff,
which they clearly have on their site. If they try to put those restriction
on it they are in violation of the license.

> Also, I object to any company which has terms which say "you must agree
> to break the web":
>
> "(k) You agree not to deep-link to the CloudMade Site and will promptly
> remove any links that CloudMade finds objectionable in its sole discretion."

I don't like these kinds of terms either. They are probably unenforcable
anyway. At least in Germany this clause is not valid.

> That page is utterly user-unfriendly. If it said at the top "Stuff You
> Can Do" and "Stuff You Can't Do (Without Asking Us)", and had a couple
> of short lists with common things, that would be much better.

Terms & Conditions tend to be that way... :-(

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298