Yeah I emailed Andy when I first started contributing to OSM because
changes weren't showing up and some zoom levels in my area returned
nothing but error tiles. He said the server was totally overloaded but
that he was working on an upgrade. Since then updates have been hit
and miss and the zoom levels that return error tiles have changed from
time to time so I suspect he has been trying to do imports but some of
them fail along the way. Two days ago he tweeted that the new server
was "nearly ready" so hopefully things will improve soon!

Toby