Here in the US they are called "civil defense sirens" and depending on
the area and the tones that they emit they can indicate any number of
threats to the public. Of course their first use was during WWII to
warn of air raids and then nuclear attack during the cold war. Now
they are probably best known as "tornado sirens" (at least here in the
midwest) but the ones in my city can also be activated with a
different tone to warn of a breach in the upstream dam which would
indicate that a flood is imminent in the lower lying parts of town.

There was some discussion about them on the talk-us mailing list back in May:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2010-May/003230.html

Toby