On 28 June 2010 14:32, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was some discussion about them on the talk-us mailing list back in May:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2010-May/003230.html

I noticed during that discussion there was talk about homeland
security and some FUD about people collecting this information so they
could 'hack' the sirens.

I'm guessing most sirens are fairly visible, otherwise they wouldn't
be very effective at alerting people when there was a need to use
them, which basically means anyone with nefarious purposes won't need
a map to find them.

Not to mention the link I posted before where that city/county
publishes their own map on the web, how sensitive can these locations
really be.

Unless we're talking security through obscurity, which isn't security at all.

This was a very good article on why anything that is public knowledge
shouldn't be excluded from being on maps:

http://www.ogleearth.com/2010/06/on_the_virtues.html