I thought most smart phone apps would mostly view map tiles, either
OSM or Cloudmade?

There are several apps now for the iPhone which also search POIs. Some examples: -JOSM allows tagging whether banks include an ATM - I select this when the ATM is attached to the building or inside the lobby. None of the apps I tried show these ATMs in a search for "ATMs". - A search for ATMs shows a list of "ATM" in the search result - that's literal because the search is showing name= , which doesn't exist because JOSM only accepts operator= when tagging ATMs. Therefore as an end user, you don't even have a brand name to look for.

Although that seems to indicate it's a good idea to categorise things
a little better, so that the apps or what ever don't need to know or
care about everything in the category, as is the case with the
amenity=* tags.

In the end, any good data consumer needs to get 'down and dirty' into the wiki and OSM tags to be effective. Just the restaurant category is awkward - most people looking to eat just want an option to see all eating establishments within walking distance. Because tagging is so subjective, there needs to be an option to combine
  amenity=restaurant
  amenity=fast_food
  amenity=café

, any of which could also serve food while excluding all other amentity= . I don't see any value in creating a category of eatery= just to make the query simpler.