On 5 August 2010 11:27, Erik Johansson <e...@kth.se> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Ben Last <ben.l...@nearmap.com> wrote:
>> Actually... I'm not sure you would :)  My reasoning is thus; OSM members are
>> interested in mapping, and relish the power of JOSM or Potlatch (I do
>> myself).  You don't want a simpler editor, you want one that helps you do
>> OSM mapping.  The motivations and interests of the "average user" community
>
>>  Or build a Facebook app so that both OSM and
>> NearMap could let a user sign in with their Facebook credentials :)  I can
>> hear some people cringing, but there's a much bigger percentage of our users
>> who are on Facebook than are on OSM.
>>

> Is there any special reason why this should only be on nearmap.com?

Yes, this is because, as Ben said the editor issue and the login issue
are thightly related.  You don't want to let users sign up to OSM too
easily and make nearly anonymous edits.  If they're to be allowed to
do that, it should be coupled with a really simple editor that lets
you change exactly the trivial things like fixing a street name or
adding a POI, and even better if it's coupled with paid staff who
either reviews the edits or is there ready to make reverts and take
responsibility for it.  (For such simple edits IMHO it is even be
better to avoid having a new user account on OSM for every single
edit, it won't help the DWG or anyone in anything now that I think of
it)

So I believe this can work really well, *if* the two things are
connected and work together, the issues 1 and 2 Frederik listed.

Cheers