Hi,

On 5 August 2010 17:09, Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's imagine nearmap have been running their new editor and
> 'cloaking' all their users under the one account for a couple of
> years, and that their editor is great and everyone wants to use it.
>
> * I want to run a mapping party in Sydney - who's been editing in the
> area? Ah, "nearmap". How many other people are there beyond just me? I
> can't find out.

But (as I mentioned in this thread) you usually look just at the last
user editing every feature because the OSM XML for some reason
includes this little bit of redundancy by putting the last editor's
user name (historical data actually) in non-history extracts.  This is
not ideal, there may have been a big edit in the area removing
created_by tags for example so the last editor's name tells you
nothing.  Or the last editor may have just changed their user name (so
you need user id instead).

So you need to look at full history anyway, at which point you can
identify the users behind the nearmap account because Ben said
changesets are tagged.  It's not a cloak, it's a different way to
store user identities.  And IMHO it's completely justified considering
most users will just have a single or a couple of simple edits
(assuming what Ben said about the _simple_ editor is true), I imagine
anyone who wants to start contributing regularly will be motivated
enough to find out about the OSM project behind the map, and perhaps
register directly.

Cheers