On 1 September 2010 14:42, Robert Kaiser <ka...@kairo.at> wrote:
> Francis Davey schrieb:
>>
>> Agreeing with the person you assign to that they will only use the
>> copyright in certain ways won't protect you against a subsequent
>> assignee of the copyright (eg OSMF assigns to XXX Ltd), subject to
>> certain exceptions.
>
> While that may be true, anyone not trusting the organization that operates
> all of the software and hardware of the project (the OSMF in our case)
> should not have contributed any data to the project as a whole in the first
> place.

That's a different point I think. All I was trying to clarify was the
effect any contractual tying of OSMF's hands might have.

Bear in mind that OSMF may cease to exist and its assets be
transferred to someone else who you may trust less. I'm not saying it
will happen or is even likely to happen, but I'm afraid as a lawyer
I'm inclined to be cautious about the far future. Copyright (which is
one of the rights in issue) can last a very long time and much can
change over that period.

I'm not expressing a view about the rights and wrongs of anything though.

--
Francis Davey