----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Avis" <e...@waniasset.com>
To: <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] ODbL vs CC-by-SA pros and cons

Grant Slater <openstreetmap <at> firefishy.com> writes:

The vote has been dropped, so don't expect to be asked to vote.

It was an OSMF Members vote.... I'll quote the first line:
"In December 2009, OpenStreetMap Foundation members were asked whether
they agreed or disagreed with a proposal to change the OpenStreetMap
geodata license. "

IIRC, the choice offered was 'I approve the process' or 'I do not approve the process'. It wasn't quite clear whether OSMF members were being asked to vote on the licence change itself, or just to express satisfaction with the actions
taken and planned by the licence working group.

With the benefit of hindsight , the inability of OSMF to actually word the vote in a clear an unambiguous manner did not bode well for its ability to run the licence change process in a smooth manner.

David

At that stage, didn't the plan still include a public vote of OSM contributors? Perhaps some OSMF members voted 'approve' on the basis of the earlier plan, happy to proceed to a public vote and see what the community thought, but would not have voted 'approve' if it were made clear that the new plan was to impose the
change unilaterally.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>