Am 18.02.2011 22:47, schrieb David Murn:
On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 16:59 +0000, Grant Slater wrote:

The new java based XAPI is running and responding to test queries, but
be warned it is still under active development. See:

Am I missing something here...?

Yes, you are missing a few things ;-)

People are complaining about how bogged
down and slow the current service is, so its being re-written in java?
Is there any language slower or more resource intensive than java?

Yes, both.

If
the service isnt designed to be portable (it only runs on one system
currently, in the world), then who cares about java,

What makes you think, that it only has to be running on one system in the future?

why isnt it written
in optimized C or some other similarly lowish level language, rather
than java?

Maybe the person actually spending the effort (instead of complaining here), is better in writing java than C. Maybe an implementation in java is (potentially) more secure compared to a plain C implementation. Maybe ...

If you'll come up with an implementation in C that is more portable, robust, faster, ... Fine! Then it will probably be used instead of the Java one.

Meanwhile, I'm glad that someone else is doing something against the current situation ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: I've developed stuff in both ANSI-C and Java for several years ...