Let me just explain what I see as the major performance bottleneck
with and API implementation: Disk seeks. A typical computer can
perform a million calculations while waiting for the disk to fetch a
few bytes. So a good data structure that can answer most map (bbox)
calls with a single disk seek is what is needed. (Not a debate on the
best programming language). I have ideas how to do that if anyone is
interested. But I willing to wait and see what Ian comes up with.

--
I'm learning Java right now and I find the array handling quite
peculiar. For storing arrays of dynamic size, I use ArrayList<>. The