In very simplistic terms, the EU cookie directive requires a web site to prominently disclose the fact that it uses cookies and what for (and in the case of tracking cookies to explicitly obtain the user's consent before doing so).

I notice the OSM site doesn't yet do this, even though it uses cookies, but this mail is more about third party users who need to make their own statements about cookies they use when they embed OSM maps.

If a OSM map is embedded in another site as an IFRAME as from the Export tab or similar, then it appears to plant two sets of cookies, ones starting _osm_... whose function seems pretty obvious, and ones starting _pk_... which are more mysterious.

Please could someone who knows put up a brief page on the wiki which explains what these are for, for the purpose of helping sites make their cookie usage clear, as required by law (or at least for them to conduct the cookie audit needed in good faith).

I am (I hope not naively!) assuming that OSM wouldn't indulge in any intrusive cookie tracking which would require explicit consent.

Is anyone addressing this for the OSM site itself? I see there is a privacy policy, but that doesn't mention cookies and it isn't "prominent" on the home page as the directive requires.

Thanks,
David