----- Original Message ----- From: "Lucas Nussbaum" <lu...@lucas-nussbaum.net>
To: "sly (sylvain letuffe)" <li...@letuffe.org>
Cc: <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Import guidelines proposal update

On 19/09/12 at 16:24 +0200, sly (sylvain letuffe) wrote:
Hi,

I've read the rather long thread "Import guidelines & OSMF/DWG governance" and
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^
Note that the use of the term "guidelines" is problematic by itself.
Either they are *guidelines*, that is, things that people SHOULD follow,
but it's OK (but not recommended) not to follow them.
Or they are *rules*, that is, things that people MUST follow.

Yes , except for the fact that some of the parts of that part do seem to relate to "guidelines", Therefore I suggest :

1) Page Title "Import/Guidelines" this should be changed to "Import/Guidelines and Mandatory Requirements"

2) Opening sentences be reworded. The current use of phrases such as "there are few hard and fast rules", "all this is open to discussion" could suggest that the text on the rest of the page are mere suggestions, rather than hard and fast rules.

3) be clear on the page which bits are "guidance" and which bits are "mandatory requirements"

David

If the DWG blocks accounts based on *guidelines*, I think that they should
be renamed to *rules*.

Lucas