Am Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:12:47 +0100
schrieb Hans Schmidt <z0idb...@gmx.de>:

> Am 24.03.2013 13:07, schrieb malenki:
> > It seems there are not a lot of people in need of this feature.
> About 160 mio people is not a lot of people?

Since you didn't go into details in you OP, where from should I know
this?
What I wanted to say with what I said above is along with Frederik
Ramm's opinion: If there would be/is a real need to render such a map,
somebody would have done/ will do it. :)

> > Render a map supporting name= on crossroads. Or make an overlay
> > using Overpass API.
> You miss my point: This is an essential map feature. And why should I
> make a map for me personally, if this is a general issue for everyone?

I did not say you should render it for yourself. You can make it
public.

> > Apples and pears?
> Is it? It seems that you have just made a comment without _any_
> knowledge and without even the slightest bit of effort to understand
> what this is about.

Like IT people like to say: crap in, crap out.
You say "a lot of people need "xy", what if we took away "ab" from
Europe". Luckily in your reply you gave some details (below)
> Sorry, but opinions like yours are ...

You are welcome :)

> [nice explanation why rendered crossroad names are not unimportant]
> [...]
> 3. If the map is so unsuitable for non-european regions, nobody will
> use it -> nobody will participate -> it seems that nobody needs these
> features

In 2006 the map was totally unusable. Despite this fact a lot of
people contributed and made it usable and are going on doing so.

> So: There _are_ basic features who need to be supported in order that
> people from these regions will participate.

Imho a reason for only a small number of participants in the regions
you mentioned can also be the number of imports dumped into the
database without any cleanup. Just mentioning KSJ2 (tons of
intersecting ways of all kind, thirteen useless tags¹ on lot of nodes),
YahooJapanALPS_Data (lot of unconnected/intersecting highways) or what
user cyana did in South Korea.

> And this is exactly why I made the comparison with street names.
> This is not apples and pears

With your explanations not anymore.

Thomas

¹ http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/KSJ2%3AINT#combinations