I think the root of this issue is lack of strong OpenStreetMap brand, or, at least, lack of visual identity of the brand.

Current OSM logo lacks necessary properties of good brand visual identification, and thus it is not used much. The most obvious problem is it is not usable - you cannot use it as small mark in corner of the map as when resized to needed small resolution image it becomes unreadable.

What should be done first is establishing good visual identity for OpenStreetMap, primarily through logo (both long 'OpenStreetMap' and short 'OSM' version) with special attention for usability - meaning that we should be able to put it everywhere and brand would be recognizable.

When that is done, problem with attribution mark is almost solved: logo should be used as visual mark.