>> Isn't this thread about pointing from outside to osm?

Yes, so the simple suggestion is for OSM to extend the API to expose the wiki tags; something like

Something along the lines of:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/wiki/{lang}/{article}
And this would return the corresponding object(s).

Even better, if it was Linked Data API in the first place [1] ;)
Give me a bit and I can demonstrate (I need to recreate the index on the node_tags column >_<) ;)

Cheers,
Claus

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

2013/5/4 Claus Stadler <cstad...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de <mailto:cstad...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>>

    Hi,

    Shouldn't OSM use Wikipedia URLs as UUIDs where applicable rather
    than Wikipedia referring to database identifiers? (The answer is a
    clear 'yes' from my side.)
    In fact there are the (wikipedia, *) tags - but not sure how good
    the quality is - what can be seen on a first glance is, that
    people mix URLs and article names, and also encoding.

there are also other tags to point from certain OSM attributes to wikipedia, e.g. http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/wikipedia%3Aoperator and http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/operator%3Awikipedia
but isn't this thread about pointing from outside to osm?

cheers,
Martin

--
Dipl. Inf. Claus Stadler