Am 25.08.2013 10:17, schrieb Lester Caine:
> Paul Norman wrote:
>>> Case 3 ... vandalism creating havoc ... this can only be correctly
>>> right
>> The revert tools just do a delete.
>
> I hope not!
> They roll back to the previous version of an object. I've just had to
> use that to fix a problem id created with a commit I had pushed. Revert
> rolled all the nodes back to their correct position.

I fear, your hope is worthless.
Sure: After the revert the state of the map (without history) is the
same as before the reverted change, but if you revert a deletion the old
nodes aren't re-used, but created as new objects. There is no real
undeletion in the API, so all revert tools only can revert objects that
still exist. Deleted objects are not undeleted, but recreated (see [1]
and the explanation for error code 412).

regards
Peter

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6#Update:_PUT_.2Fapi.2F0.6.2F.5Bnode.7Cway.7Crelation.5D.2F.23id