(remember to check address!)
Peter Wendorff wrote:
If so, then sorry for that - but is there any documentation about it?
>>The API description in the wiki does not mention anything like that, so
>>IMHO it's missing there, isn't it?
>
>They upload a new version of the object with the appropriate properties.
>The more relevant call for uploading data is
>http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/API_v0.6#Diff_upload:_POST_.2Fapi.2F0.6.2Fchangeset
>.2F.23id.2Fupload.
>I don't see anything that needs adding to the documentation.

Sounds inconsistent nevertheless: updating a single object using PUT
/api/0.6/[node|way|relation]/#id is not possible when referring to a
deleted object, but updating the same object using diff is.

If nobody complains, I'll add a hint to the section referring to the
diff upload section, and a hint that diff uploads may be used for real
reverts, too.

At the end of the day, nothing is ACTUALLY deleted. Currently a copy is retained in the changelog and that is simply used to 're-edit' changes so that as has been said a new version is created matching the last but one version. The API does not prevent using a 'deleted' node or way number so all of the change log history can be retained. But this is where maintaining historic records creates a problem. Only one copy of an object is maintained in the main live data, so accessing a previous 'view' say prior to a realignment of a road fails because it has the same way number. Using start and end dates to select a particular view is not supported ...

This is where 'delete' is the wrong concept. Currently it just means it's made invisible and there is no reason it can't simply be restored. What should be happening is that there should be a mechanism to tag the reason for the 'change of state' and changes that are due to historic development need to be made available via a different route. Since the start and end date tags already exist, managing these properly is long overdue, but it's moving records that now have an end date to a view of the database where that information can be used that is currently missing?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL