Hi,

On 02.12.2013 20:12, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> First off, I hope this is the right place to ask mapping questions -
> otherwise could you suggest the best mailing list please.

There's also a talk-us list if you have questions specific to the US of
A. But talk is just fine. We can use a diversion.

> I am doing some mapping along the Interstate 5 in California based on my
> own notes and data collected. What I keep on finding is elements on OSM
> which don't seem to exist in reality. For example:

Your editor might allow you to inspect an object's author(s) and
history, or if not, you can go to the web site, zoom in, and activate
the data layer. With that I could see that the roads you mention have
been imported from the TIGER data set 6 years ago and not touched since.
This means that anything you gather from an aerial image or even
personal survey surely trumps that data!

Had the research turned up that a mapper edited these roads just weeks
or months ago, potentially even indicating they did a survey, then it
would be in order to contact that person and discuss the issue. But not
with a 6 year old data import.

Same but different for the "Kettleman Station" node, this has been
imported 5 years ago from a GNIS data set and deserves no more respect
than the rest - if there's nobody living there then it's likely not a
hamlet.

Bye
Frederik