On Wednesday 11 June 2014, Jochen Topf wrote:

> I think the "mechanical edits policy" has stepped over the line here.
> A mechanical edit is one where somebody uses a special program that,
> based on some simple criteria, does *automatic* changes. Using
> existing tools like JOSM and XAPI to find problems, looking at them
> manually and doing edits, is not a mechanical edit and should not
> fall under that policy.

And i think it does not.

The policy is probably not worded in the clearest possible way but it
has always been my interpretation that the key question is if the
modifications made to the database are individually verified by the
mapper, not if you use some fancy filtering to find those objects you
want to modify.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/