Hi,

On 06/11/2014 01:07 PM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> That is a very bad way to make rules. Everything is forbidden and normally we
> ignore if you step over the line but if we don't like your nose, we will
> arrest
> you...

No - the rule is easy:

"every mechanical edit will be reverted if someone complains".

If some mechanical edits go unnoticed because no mapper felt bothered by
them - fine, why sould we stir up trouble? Surely the DWG could run a
ton of detection scripts so that we pick up even those nobody complains
about but why should we?

We occasionally lack the manpower to investigate a case (there was a
complaint - now was it really a mechanical edit, let's talk to the
person, etc.etc.) but that's not a problem with the rule.

> One of the biggest selling points of OSM was always: Everybody can edit, and
> yes, mistakes happen, but on the whole it is better to allow people to
> exercise
> their common sense than to block everything by forcing people to go through
> a lengthy process before they can change anything. Why is that difference
> whether
> I go outside and collect data, or draw from aerial images or whether I use
> XAPI
> to find a spelling mistake?

Throughput is the difference.

In the specific case that started this thread, I believe that the person
making the edits has been contacted by other mappers with better
knowledge of the region in question because some of his edits were
distorting reality but refused to back off. That is perhaps then not so
much a problem of a mechanical edit but one of a mapper thinking he
knows better ;)

Bye
Frederik