In almost all other science and technology fields we use instrumentation to
allow us to "see" what would otherwise be too dangerous, expensive or just
impossible to see with our unaided human senses.  Mapping is no different.
 We use satellite (more generically overhead) imagery to "see" areas where
it would be too expensive, time consuming or in some cases dangerous for us
to travel to in person.

There is nothing wrong with overhead imagery.  One must just not use it
beyond its limits. There are going to be some things that are not obvious
and crystal clear from overhead imagery, assumptions should not be made in
these cases, and those things should not be mapped based on this one source
alone..

Mike