I think it's useful to be able to query all streets named after a certain
poet or celebrity. I did the exercise for Father Damien and Guido Gezelle
and it's not possible to simply query for "Gezelle" and obtain the same
result.

You are right in that this is a query on name:etymology:wikidata and.

It's also interesting to be able to find all the artwork by a certain
artist. I've been doing this for Ad Wouters. There are however several
persons by that rather common name. They're not all artists, but simply
querying on the artist's name is not sufficient.

Anyway, my conclusion is that wikidata and *:wikidata tags are useful and
the only way that makes sense to use them, is by adding them to the OSM
objects themselves. Then when a node gets converted to a (closed) way or a
way needs to be represented as a relation (multipolygon, maybe) the
wikidata tag(s) simply follow(s).

Jo