Hi,

Christoph Hormann schrieb:
> Great to see the waterways are getting some attention. Does this only
> analyze SRTM elevations at start and end point or are the surrounding
> waterways considered?

currently start and end point only. I have code to do more, but for the
easy tasks that was not necessary as I have a fairly high number of true
positives.

> If a waterway meets another waterway at one side
> but is unconnected at the other for example this is usually a strong
> indicator for the direction independent of the elevations data (which
> is only helpful usually in mountain areas).

Actually I found many streams where start and end point are not
connected to anything at all. However, for those cases (not mountain
areas) the aerials didn't help neither in most cases ;) But as I'd like
to get a mostly complete waternetwork for another project, I'm planning
on extending the challenge at some point.

> In terms of usability it would of course be good if you could see the
> direction in MapRoulette so you can verify the data without actually

Serge suggested this, too. But I did never understand what the direction
would tell the user? Does it denote the current way's direction or the
supposed correct direction? How would the user know? And my biggest
concern is, that in many cases you need aerial anyway to be really sure.

Anyways, would be happy to add this, once I got, how this should be done
:)

Peda