From experience, I know that such responses are intimidating and put
people off mapping. My girlfriend started mapping some areas when I
showed her how to do it and immediately somebody sent her an email
saying how she should be doing things because he doesn't map it that
way (Neither way was official or written down anyway), and in the end
she said she didn't like it and felt intimidated and decided not to
carry on.

I think people need a playpen where they can try out ideas and map
before contributing to the main map (Maybe there already is, I don't
know). I think it should also be a requirement that people add a
comment upon every commit to avoid such arguments. I'm getting a
little tired of seeing constant updates in my area from people who
don't add comments on why or what they've changed.

Tony